As National Director of the Liberal Party of Canada, allow me to say this: you are a game changer.
When Elections Canada released fundraising results for federal political parties for 2012, it was the generous donations of Liberals like you that helped us not just out-fundraise the NDP, but start to close the gap with the governing Conservative Party. Not just in the final quarter of 2012, but last year overall.
So this is about you. It’s about the difference you’ve made. And while it’s also about money, and what we do with it, I promise I won’t ask you for any here.
Let’s start with this snapshot of the results for the three main parties.
During September’s Keep it Going Campaign, and again in the final days of December 2012, we let Liberals know the NDP were dangerously close to out fundraising us. And guess what? You delivered! The Q4 results clearly show our fundraising out-pacing theirs. And you made that happen.
Here’s another snapshot: funds raised by the three main parties since last election in terms of market share.
We may be the third place party in the House of Commons, but against all the odds and with your support, since our very humbling electoral defeat in 2011, we have been able to raise 26 percent of all dollars donated to the three major political parties. And you made that happen.
But you and I both know this isn’t just about beating expectations or how we measure up against the NDP or Conservatives. Tens of thousands of Liberals like you invest your dollars and trust in us each year because you want us to elect the MPs who speak up for your values in Parliament and work to build a Canada we can all be proud of.
Now it’s up to us to continue to earn your trust, and build on this momentum, which is why I want to highlight what your dollars are helping us achieve, including:
• Investing in the campaign technologies and outreach initiatives that helped us reach out to over a million Canadians in 2012;
• Growing our supporter and membership roll to 100,000 people;
• Launching the 2013 LPC Leadership Race that will give Canadians-at-large the chance to choose our new Leader;
• Empowering our organisers in every riding in the country with the most modern campaign tools and techniques;
• Preparing for likely 2013 by-elections;
• Building our webcast capability so you can engage with Liberal MPs and participate in Liberal events online from your computer or mobile device; and
• Modernising financial reporting to better serve our donors and meet regulatory reporting requirements.
Really, what I want to do here is take a moment and thank you – it is your support that has propelled the Liberal Party of Canada through a year of tremendous achievements. All of it would have been impossible without you.
At LPC we are proud to do the work that moves our Party forward – and to do it on your behalf. I know that a streamlined, efficient, modern and open political party is what you have asked for. Our commitment every day is to deliver that, and more.
National Director, Liberal Party of Canada
PS. I know I said I wouldn’t ask you for money, but I will ask you for this: will you sign up as a supporter for the chance to vote in the 2013 LPC Leadership race? Just click here – it takes 30 seconds to sign up.