TORONTO – Liberals will invest in the middle class and those working hard to join it by making it easier to find an affordable place to call home, said the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, Justin Trudeau, today.
“Safe, adequate, and affordable housing is essential to building strong families, strong communities, and a strong economy,” said Mr. Trudeau. “We have a plan to make housing more affordable for those who need it most – seniors, persons with disabilities, lower-income families, and Canadians working hard to join the middle class.”
A Liberal government will restore federal leadership on affordable housing by investing in a comprehensive National Housing Strategy that will:
- Prioritize significant new investments in affordable housing and seniors’ facilities, as part of the Liberals’ historic ten-year investment of nearly $20 billion in social infrastructure
- Provide $125 million per year in tax incentives to increase and substantially renovate the supply of rental housing across Canada;
- Finance the construction of new, affordable rental housing for middle- and low-income Canadians;
- Inventory all available federal lands and buildings to see what could be repurposed, and make it available at low cost for affordable housing in communities where there is a pressing need;
- Modernize the existing Home Buyers’ Plan so that it helps more Canadians finance the purchase of a home; and
- Review escalating home prices in high-priced markets – like Vancouver and Toronto – to keep home ownership within reach for Canadians living in these areas.
“While Canadians struggle to make ends meet, Stephen Harper gives billions to the wealthiest few. Mulcair irresponsibly supports Harper’s plan to give more money to millionaires and will make major cuts to public services,” said Mr. Trudeau. “Only Liberals have a plan to put more money in families’ pockets to help with the high cost of raising their kids, and by investing in the social infrastructure that gives all Canadians a real and fair chance at success.”
Backgrounder – Real Change: Affordable housing for Canadians